When it comes to being successful at a business, it’s is all about building relationships and personal connections. Often, these personal connections are made face-to-face in an informal, friendly environment, or over a cup of coffee. That’s why the Microsoft team is making it easier for you to do business while building that personal connection all with your Outlook email.
These programs are called Office Add-ins in Outlook 2016, and Apps for Office in Outlook 2013. These add-ins can help you collaborate effortlessly, so you can focus on what matters and quickly get more done. Rather than taking that extra step to find a place to set sales appointments or go through a ton of emails to find a task you need to complete, Outlook is providing users with new and improved tools.
Some add-ins are paid, so we’ve listed the top free plugins that you will find the most useful for your business goals:
- Starbucks for Outlook – Send Starbucks eGift cards and schedule meetings at Starbucks stores, right through Outlook. Just click the “Meet at Starbucks” command at the top of the screen when creating a new meeting request, search for a nearby Starbucks, and set it as the assembly point.
- Yelp – Search for businesses and view all the important details along with photos and reviews. With this app you can easily insert the business details into your email or calendar with one click and share with your friends or co-workers.
- PayPal for Outlook – allows you to send money the safer way right from your email. Just open the PayPal app inside Outlook, choose a friend, and send the money using the email address Outlook auto fills.
- FindTime – shows what days and times work the best for people within your organization. Propose your selected times to all attendees and allow everyone to vote. FindTime sends out the meeting invite on your behalf, eliminating the time consuming back-and-forth usually required to find the best meeting time.
- Evernote for Outlook – Save emails from Outlook to Evernote and organize them with the rest of the project, or quickly add notes from Evernote to any Outlook email to share them with others. Send emails directly to your project notebooks so you can keep all the moving parts together. Great for sharing tasks, articles, and projects.
- Page Tracker – offers you the option to track your packages inside your Outlook mailbox.
- Bing Nearby – Search for a snapshot of a restaurant, coffee shop, or hotel nearby and insert it directly into the body of your email, meeting, or appointment. The info snapshot includes the address, phone number, name, user-ratings, and more.
- DocuSign for Outlook – Whenever an attachment is found on an email message and you simply select who is signing. If you are the only signer, DocuSign for Outlook will walk you through the process of signing and returning the document. The app will guide you to define recipients and tag the documents to gather information from those specified.
- Boomerang – lets you schedule emails to be sent at the optimal time, makes sure you remember to follow up on important messages that don’t get a response, and makes scheduling a meeting a snap.
- XING for Outlook – helps you get to know your Outlook contacts and meeting participant better. You can view job title and company name of participants along with things you have in common with them. This additional information may prove useful as it can help you phrase your e-mail reply better or be more prepared for an appointment.
How to Get Started with the New Add-Ins
You can install these add-ins from the Office Store using the steps below:
- In Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016, click Store from the Home tab on the ribbon, or click the File menu and then click Manage Add-ins. For Outlook Web App or Outlook.com, click the gear icon (top right) and select Manage Add-ins.
- In the Manage Add-ins page, click the + sign and then select Add from the Office Store.
- Select the add-in you want to install and then click the Add button to begin installation.
These apps are currently available for Outlook 2016 users. If you’re not already on Outlook 2016, contact us to learn more about upgrading. You can also learn more here about signing up for Office 365 with NetStandard – where we can always keep you on the latest versions of your Microsoft tools.
Let us know your favorite new add-in app for Outlook in the comments section below!