SYSTEMS ENGINEER, CORE SERVICES
Job Title: Systems Engineer, Core Services
Division: Core Services
Location: All Locations
Reports To: Manager of Core Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Added: May 8, 2013
Position Summary: The Systems Engineer, Core Services (SE) is an experienced IT generalist who has ideally achieved certification in one or more core infrastructure technologies (OS, NET, VM, Storage). The SE will be a recognized subject matter expert for all Core Service technologies. This critical role is accountable, along with other team members, for delivering reliable, consistent and outstanding service to NetStandard’s internal and external customers. The SE will maintain various vendor relationships, provide technical direction to junior members of the team, and represent the team in the absence of a manager. The SE also requires personal and administrative skills, such as initiative, time management, prioritization, multi-tasking, project assessment, scoping, estimation, time allocation/tracking, documentation, communication and testing/solution deployment.
Reporting Structure: The System Engineer, Core Services will report to the Manager of Core Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function as an owner, subject matter expert and champion for NetStandard’s Core Service technologies and associated processes.
- Diagnose system issues, predict future trends, make recommendations and implement solutions.
- Monitor systems performance, ensure capacity planning is performed, and be proactive in assessing and providing recommendations for improvement of assigned systems and technologies.
- Provide relevant data and reports to customers as required by Service Level Agreements, or as requested to support NetStandard’s mission.
- Perform as an internal technical consultant, advocate, mentor and change agent.
- Determine architectural principles/approaches for applying technical standards to complex systems within multiple environments.
- Maintain and enhance Core Service technologies for a variety of vendor products, including backup, performance management, network security, network services and more.
- Create and maintain scripts to automate systems and services to enhance productivity.
- Detailed utilization and time tracking
- Adheres to change management, security and other organizational processes as required
- Provides guidance, mentoring and coaching to team members
- Performs project assessments, scoping and cost estimates
- Works in a technical pre-sales capacity for potential clients as required
- Training and knowledge transfer to other team members to ensure continuity of knowledge and staff development
- Leads by example and adheres to core values and culture
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
An individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems, such as Windows and Linux
- Intermediate knowledge of TCP/IP networking (DNS, DHCP, RAS, VPN, routing protocols, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge with various system management tools, philosophies and methods
- Advanced understanding of systems automation (scripting, imaging, installation, management)
- Advanced knowledge of antivirus/malware and patch management technologies
- Advanced knowledge of products and management disciplines for various collaborative technologies, such as Microsoft Exchange, Lync, VoIP and SharePoint
- Advanced knowledge of products and various management techniques for virtualization technologies, including VMware
- Working knowledge of performance management technologies, including WMI, SNMP, WEBM, WMIC, etc.
- Intermediate understanding of network technologies, including load-balancers, firewalls, email appliances, IPS/IDS devices, etc.
- Experience with IT process modeling, development and implementation of changes/improvements
- Analytical and process-oriented approach to issues and assigned tasks
- Advanced diagnostic method and skills in a variety of environments
- Strong project management skills; task-focused and results-oriented delivery
- Customer service and performance-driven
- At least 5 years of experience in Information Technology infrastructure support. Relevant product experience may include:
- Windows, Linux
- VMware, HyperV, Citrix
- HP Openview, Tivoli, SCCM
- Commvault, Backup Exec, NetBackup, Arcserve, Avamar
- Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, Active Directory, IIS
- Bind DNS, DHCP, WiFi
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent training preferred.
- Relevant Certifications:
C) Special Requirements
- On-call rotation
- Highly effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Effective verbal and written communication
D) Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, performing work on a computer
- Must be able to periodically lift parcels weighing in excess of 50 pounds
To begin the application process, please complete this short employment application.