Job Title: Systems Engineer
Division: Clarity, Managed Services
Location: All Locations
Reports To: Technology Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Added: November 29, 2012
Position Summary: The Systems Engineer (SE) is a seasoned IT generalist working in a service provider capacity for a variety of clients. The SE is responsible for advanced technical support of Windows and/or Linux based server systems, virtualization technology, shared storage, email and unified communications, security access controls, data networking, backup/DR, etc. This critical role is accountable, along with the other team members, for delivery of services that meet all technical requirements for clients in a timely fashion. The SE also requires personal and administrative skills, such as initiative, time management, prioritization, multi-tasking, project assessment, scoping, estimation, time allocation/tracking, documentation, communication, and testing and solution deployment.
Reporting Structure: The Systems Engineer will report to the Technology Manager (TM) assigned to coordinate activities for each managed Clarity client’s account. Under the TM’s direction, the SE will also work closely with other members of the technical support team to accomplish assigned and recurring tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides advanced technical support for each client’s server-based systems and environment as a whole.
- Provides advanced technical support for each client’s collaborative technology, including email and unified communication systems.
- Provides intermediate technical support for each client’s virtualization environment.
- Provides intermediate technical support for each client’s shared storage environment.
- Provides intermediate technical support for each client’s data network, including configuration, performance and security.
- Works with the Core Services team to monitor and respond to events to ensure client system uptime and stability.
- Ensures change control and other processes and procedures are followed and that configuration documentation is completed when systems are deployed or modified.
- Participates in a rotating, 24x7x365 support role.
- Responsible for engaging and managing vendor escalations, as required.
- Provides timely and clear communications to the client and the Technology Manager, as appropriate.
- Detailed utilization and time tracking
- Provides guidance, mentoring and coaching to team members
- Performs project assessments, scoping and cost estimates
- Works in a technical pre-sales capacity for potential Clarity clients as required
- Training and knowledge transfer to other team members to ensure continuity of knowledge and staff development
- Leads by example and adheres to core values and culture
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
An individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows and Active Directory
- Advanced knowledge of authentication and directory services (Active Directory), etc.
- Advanced knowledge with Windows system management tools, philosophies and methods
- Advanced understanding of Windows automation (scripting, imaging, installation, management)
- Advanced knowledge of antivirus/malware and patch management technologies
- Advanced understanding of TCP/IP networking (DNS, DHCP, RAS, VPN)
- Advanced knowledge of collaborative technologies, such as Microsoft Exchange
- Intermediate understanding of virtualization concepts and functional working skills with various virtualization technologies (create/modify virtual machines, create storage groups, snapshot, clone/export, etc.)
- Intermediate knowledge of shared storage concepts and functional working skills with various shared storage technologies (provisioning LUNs, expanding volumes, configuring RAID, etc.)
- Intermediate knowledge of network concepts and functional working skills with various network technologies (create vLAN, create static route, diagnose routing problems, configure ports, etc.)
- Strong understanding of Windows and network security best practices and strategies
- Analytical and process-oriented approach to issues and assigned tasks
- Advanced level diagnostic method and skills in a variety of environments
- Intermediate project management skills; task-focused and results-oriented delivery
- Effective both independently and as a member of a team
- Customer service and performance-driven
- At least 5 years of experience in Information Technology infrastructure support.
- Associate degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent training preferred.
- Relevant Certifications:
C) Special Requirements
- Overnight travel 20% or less
- On-call rotation
- Highly effective interpersonal and organizational skills
- Effective verbal and written communication
D) Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time, performing work on a computer
- Must be able to periodically lift parcels weighing in excess of 50 pounds
To begin the application process, please complete this short employment application.